Skip to main content

Finding The Right Photographer

Here's the scenario.  You are a hair stylist with a plan to showcase your skills and decide the best way to accomplish your goal is to either start or upgrade your image portfolio.  The first thing you do is identify a few clients who are willing to be hair models and begin dreaming up the styles to show off your diverse skills.  Next, you need a photographer, so you start asking around or you turn to someone you've worked with before.  

At this point everything seems to come together and all you need to do is lock in a shoot date and you are all set.  The problem is, your project may have been doomed the moment you selected your photographer - especially if you were only focused on the cost of the photography or the availability of the photographer.  

Here are a few important things to consider when selecting a photographer to help you capture the vision you have.

  • Don't get stuck on the price - usually the first thing a client asks about is price.  Unfortunately, prices are no true and accurate measure of a photographer's skill or experience.  Inexperienced photographers may either low-ball their rates or price too high for their skill set.  Additionally, highly skilled photographers may charge more, but there is a greater chance that your vision will be captured.  So the bottom line is, price should actually be one of the last considerations you make if you really want great images.
  • Cut your loyalties - Just because you worked with a photographer in the past doesn't automatically mean he or she is the best person for your project.  If you have a specific vision for your images or need a fresh perspective do what you have to do to ensure that your expectations are met.  This may mean calling on another photographer and making a sound business decision. The most important thing to keep in mind is, you aren't burning a bridge.  In fact, you may encourage photographers you know to step their games up after they see your newest most amazing images.  
  • Always check portfolios - one of the most common misconceptions about photographers is that we can shoot everything.  This myth is reinforced further when you actually fall in love with a photographers work and place them on a pedestal.  While, a photographer may create amazing images, you can't assume it applies across all genres of photography.  If you are in the market for studio head shots, you should look for studio head shots in a photographers portfolio.  If all you see are outdoor shots at parks, it's probably safe to say they don't shoot studio head shots.  The rule to always live by is, if you don't see it in their portfolio, they don't shoot it.  
with a little patience you will begin to see the science in selecting a photographer and reap the benefits of a sound photography investment.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pen Tablet vs. a Mouse for Photo Editing

For a little over a year I have been using a Wacom Intuous4 pen tablet to edit my images and absolutely love it.  As a digital photographer, I enjoy the entire creative process from the moment I power up my Nikon D90 to the final clicks in my Apple Aperture software and now that I can remove the restrictions of using a traditional mouse, I'm having more fun with my digital work flow.

I needed Abs

Julian Rance Photography 2012 This has been a busy month for me behind the camera, but it was much overdo since I neglected my passion for most of the past year.  Now that I'm committing more time to photography, my creative juices have been flowing and I've been working on new images to show off my skills.  During the Summer Olympics, I saw a Nike ad campaign that inspired me to test my skills and attempt to recreate the images I saw, but first I needed the right model...

1-on-1 Photography Lessons Available

Do you live in Charlotte and have an interest in digital photography but are not sure of the steps to take or how to get the most from the gear and equipment you already own?   With my experience as a digital photographer and customized instruction you can create images that make your friends and family say wow or create an additional stream of income for your household.